In so many ways, all schools are similar and yet all schools claim to be different. In that case, what is the unique quality that makes Durham distinctive?
Following in the footsteps of Durham School UK, Durham School for Girls Doha continues the heritage of strong pastoral care, inclusion and individual progress that make the school “Distinctively Durham”. Within the school there is a strong ethos based on the school philosophy and values. Centred around the girl’s individual development, we aim to ensure that we strive for a balance in both academic and personal, social development ensuring confidence for life.
Durham School for Girls is the first British all-girls school and all woman campus in Qatar. Linked with the 2030 vision of female empowerment, we aim to ensure an environment where girls can flourish and develop to reach their full potential. An all-female campus will provide the security for girls to develop individually, respect Qatari culture and values, and embrace the British system and methodology.
Being part of the Durham family, our students and staff are part of the 600-year-old traditions and reputation of Durham UK. Although Durham School for Girls Doha works in a different community, a different country and a beautiful, modern building, the school creates a school culture that remains Durham. A strong pastoral House system with a Qatari twist link to Durham UK and many synergies will unite the two schools, forming the synergies of one school, two sites.
All Staff need to ready for the challenge of a developing school and will be part of the school family and community. Like Durham UK, the staff will help to create and warm and secure learning environment where dedicated staff support and develop the girls in our school.
This is an exciting new time and a chance for Staff to be part of something old, and something new. This is a first for Qatar and I am delighted and honoured to lead this project.
- The school is the first British all-girls school in Doha The campus is a whole female environment
- The school opened with over 550 students. Complete capacity of the school is approximately 1200 pupils as it grows over 4 years to Year 13.
- 2020 we will open Year 8,9 and 10. 2021 we will open 11 and 12 and 2022 will be our first Year 13 class.
- English National Curriculum will be followed, and Arabic and Islamic studies will be incorporated into the curriculum.
- The school will focus on achieving full potential. Pupils will have a strong academic programme supported by sports, arts, drama and vocational skills. IGCSE’s and A levels will be complemented with vocational and individual programmes to ensure inclusion for all pupils.
- The whole campus is based in the middle of Doha. Facilities include: Separate Primary and Secondary Art, Music and ICT specialized rooms, Sports Hall, Gym, Indoor Pool, Purpose EYFS center, Black Box Theatre and Performance rooms.
- A strong pastoral House system will run vertically through the school and will link closely with Durham School UK.
- Opportunities and synergies with Durham UK will allow staff and students of the school to feel part of a well respected and established British School.
- Strong links are already forming with Universities to create a dynamic and innovative KS5
- We will aim for the school to be a happy, inspiring, secure learning environment, promoting the school’s moto – Confidence for life.
Durham School for Girls Doha
Job Description: Classroom Teacher
Durham School for Girls Doha is committed to the safeguarding of children and expects all employees to share and uphold this commitment. Any employee will be subject to satisfactory background checks in line with UK and International requirements. All employees will undertake annual and regular safeguarding training as part of their professional
Duties: The professional duties and responsibilities of the teacher include:
Teaching and Learning
Plan, prepare and teach high quality, well-structured and engaging lessons.
- Teach according to educational need, adapting teaching to respond to the strengths and needs of all pupils.
- Demonstrate good subject knowledge and positive enthusiasm.
- Set high expectations which inspire, motivate and challenge pupils.
- Lead in the development of English teaching.
- Communicate effectively with the parents of pupils.
- Co-ordinate with other teachers on the preparation and development of teaching materials, teaching programmes and methods of teaching.
- Participate in meetings arranged for any of the purposes described above.
- Give pupils regular feedback, both orally and through accurate marking in line with school policy
- Make accurate and productive use of assessment, providing or contributing oral and written feedback in line with school policy.
- Set targets and work towards their achievement and participate fully in pupil progress meetings.
- Take an activate role in Teaching and Learning working parties for curriculum development.
- Attend Parents’ evenings relevant to the pupils taught.
- Promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young persons.
- Maintain good order and discipline amongst pupils and safeguard their health and safety, both when they are on the School premises and when they are engaged in activities elsewhere.
- Manage pupil behaviour effectively to ensure a good and safe learning environment.
- Undertake the pastoral role of a Form Tutor, to promote and facilitate the general progress and well- being of everyone. Personal and Professional Conduct
- Demonstrate consistently high standards of personal and professional conduct.
- always Maintain professionalism and keep confidentiality of information.
- Support and foster the aims and policies of the School.
- Attend staff meetings, INSET sessions and similar functions, both in and out of normal School hours.
- Undertake such duties that the Principal or Head of Primary may reasonably require.
- To uphold and follow the Staff Code of Conduct.
- To contribute to the extra-curricular activities of the School, which take place regularly during School hours.
- ALL CANDIDTES NEED TO APPLY VIA THE APPLICATION FORM.
- SHORTLISTING WILL BE COMPLETED BY DURHAM SCHOOL FOR GIRLS PRINCIPAL AND DURHAM SCHOOL UK
- CANDIDATES WILL HAVE AN INITIAL ZOOM INTERVIEW AND THEN WILL BE CALLED FOR A PERSONAL INTERVIEW IN THE UK IF NEEDED.
- APPOINTMENTS WILL BE OFFERED SUBJECT TO REFERENCE CHECKS AND SAFEGUARDING REGULATIONS COMPLIED TO.
- ALL NEW TEACHERS WILL BE EXPECTED TO BE IN QATAR BY EARLY – AUGUST FOR INDUCTION TO THE NEW SCHOOL.
- ALL APPLICANTS WILL NEED TO FULFILL ALL QATARI IMMIGRATION REQUIRMENTS INCLUDING POLICE AND MEDICAL CHECKS TO WORK.
Package for Primary Teachers
Competitive tax-free salary
Housing is provided in our own apartments
School transportation provided
Support for families
Additional allowance for Curriculum or Key stage responsibility
Further details can be provided by VJWhay@durhamqatar.com
Candidates wishing to apply for a responsibility position need to include this in the application. Relevant experience of leadership and responsibility will be a requirement.
Leadership positions are available for both Primary and Secondary candidates.
If you are qualified as per the above criteria, you may send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org