Durham School for Girls will prepare the young of today to be the leaders of tomorrow in the lessons we teach both in and outside the classroom, but, more importantly, in the values we encourage in every aspect of our daily lives.
Within a community shaped by moral integrity and kindness, we cultivate responsibility and ensure that all girls can thrive, be happy, and make a positive ‘MARK’ in the world. In doing this, our girls learn to pass their assessments today while receiving an education that will last a lifetime.
In so many ways, all schools are similar and yet all schools claim to be different, so what is the unique quality that makes Durham School for Girls distinctive?
Pupils here do lots of things that revolve around their education: sport, music, drama, outdoor pursuits and so the list goes on. Our girls will dedicate time to these activities because they are fun and enhance CVs but, more importantly, because they develop our young females as people; they learn to compete, they learn to win, and they learn what to do when they don’t come first. Balancing all this with academic work is never easy but the girls will learn from the very beginning that assessments and tests cannot get in the way of an education that will last a lifetime.
- We demonstrate a desire to do the right thing.
- We act in private as we do in public.
- We have the courage to say and do the right thing.
- We stand firm for what is right.
- We challenge things we think are wrong and are open to challenge from others.
- We are accountable for failure as well as success, and do not allocate blame.
- We can be relied upon to do what is right.
- We demonstrate and promote honesty.
- We achieve our goals by consistently working towards them.
- We go above and beyond the call of duty.
- We aim for the best in ‘me and them’ and take pride in all we do.
- We seek help and support before giving up and identify lessons in setbacks.
- We encourage all to develop maximum potential and support others to achieve.
- We embrace opportunities, challenge, and seek to develop our skills and talents.
- We identify opportunities for School Development.
- We do what we say we will.
- We are punctual and prompt in all that we do.
- We use our resources responsibly, developing and caring for our environment.
- We act before being asked and consistently deliver on expectations.
- We prepare thoroughly for all tasks.
- We encourage autonomy in all and seek leadership.
- We acknowledge and seek to resolve problems.
- We pioneer better ways of doing things.
- We are open and approachable to all. • We welcome and listen to the opinions of others. • We look to engage and involve all in the community. • We attend to newcomers and those needing help and build relationships actively. • We are positive in responding to questions. • We support each other and stand up for fellow colleagues and pupils. • We acknowledge individual needs within the community. • We speak positively of the School community.